Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011

cm67
Default cant get hang of kick

Hello all,

I am in the early stages of learning TI and have been knocking the hours in at the pool.
I am learning very slowly but am finding it enjoyable but what I would like some advise on is the leg kick.
My brain is having a hard time accepting that when the left leg kicks down then the right hip drives down.
I "feel" like im using the left kick to shift balance to the left side.
Anybody got any hints or tips that I can focus on or any specific drills???
thanks
Chris...

Last edited by cm67 : 05-22-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm67 View Post
My brain is having a hard time accepting that when the left leg kicks down then the right hip drives down.
Imagine that you are swimming behind a freestyler.
You observe that when the swimmer's left leg kicks downwards it drives his left hip upwards. If the left hip goes up, the right hip must go down, of course...

Said another way: the downwards kick on the left side is torquing the body in a clockwise direction. The right leg kick would torque it counter-clockwise.

Study the slo-mo here to clearly see this TI-recommended two-beat kick in action.

Last edited by borate : 05-22-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2011

tab

What made it click for me was not the comparison of flow from kick to spear, but the kick is on the same side as the stroke. I think it is right kick, right stroke, left kick, left stroke. The core body hip drive and spear just happens, it has too. This is coming from a very new swimmer, if I am mixing things up I hope I am corrected.
Old 05-23-2011

daveblt

A couple things to remember when you swim to help your kick are make sure you don't over rotate and to swim with wider tracks . This should help your balance and give you a more stable feeling. Also keep your toes pointed but without strain .

Dave
Old 05-23-2011

cm67

thanks for the help....must admit it feels a bit like rubbing my tummy while patting my head at the moment, think I will try as said to focus on left foot right hand vice versa, perhaps im over complicating things !!!
Old 05-23-2011

RobM77

Most people can't concentrate on more than one thing at once, so rather than thinking about the kick during full stroke, I'd recommend practising the kick in isolation with spear switch - do a couple of lengths of that thinking about the feet and then try full stroke, then repeat. You'll find that gradually your brain starts to learn to do the correct kick subconciously.
Old 05-23-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab View Post
What made it click for me was not the comparison of flow from kick to spear, but the kick is on the same side as the stroke.
Some people find it easier to feel same-side synchro rather than diagonal synchro. To focus on same-side synchro, right-foot toe-flick should happen as right hand reaches midpoint of stroke. And vice versa.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 05-23-2011

cm67

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Some people find it easier to feel same-side synchro rather than diagonal synchro. To focus on same-side synchro, right-foot toe-flick should happen as right hand reaches midpoint of stroke. And vice versa.
Im not understanding this Terry, are we saying that you can kick and spear on the same side???
If this is so then the hip drive that happens in left kick right stroke wont happen, is this correct???
Old 05-23-2011

AWP

Read it again, carefully. As your right foot "flicks" your right arm is in mid stroke, holding the water (pull phase). At this point your left arm is spearing forward, likewise, left foot flick-left arm stroke-right arm spear.
Hope that clears it up. When you get it you'll be hooked!
Old 05-23-2011

cm67

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
Read it again, carefully. As your right foot "flicks" your right arm is in mid stroke, holding the water (pull phase). At this point your left arm is spearing forward, likewise, left foot flick-left arm stroke-right arm spear.
Hope that clears it up. When you get it you'll be hooked!
Ahhhhhh...got it now!!!