Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011

dzhou01
Default I testify: little stamina needed

Today, I completed 1000 yards nonstop. Three months ago, I could not swim several yards. I sit all day at my work as a data analyst. I do not run or bike because I don't have much stamina. How will I? I am sedantary, busy with work and two young children. The Self Coach DVD teaches me how to swim effortlessly.

The key is balance. Because of my lifetime bad posture, my spine tilts to the right. When I do SG, I tend to overturn. I spent hours and hours on skating position with breathing, trying to achieve the same sensation on both sides. I concentrate on feeling how my body rolls from side to side with each kick. So the sequence is: kick right foot, roll to the left side, breathe to the right; kick left foot, roll to the right side, breathe to the left. This exercise helps me to feel how gravity help my body roll and feel the coordination among kicking,rolling and breathing. And breathing becomes very natual, I feel I can breathe whenever I want on either side.

I think I am at the green belt level that Terry talked about. Next, I am going to buy tempo trainer. At the height of 5'5, I feel my SPL is too high (22 for 25-yard length). so need to work on balance more. Sensation is still not the same on both sides.

Our company offers free blood test every year. This year's results were just out, and I found my numbers all better than last year. My colleagues were amazed since their numbers got worse (high LDL, triglycerides,blood pressure etc). I shared with them my swimming story and they all asked to borrow my DVD. Now one of them has my DVD and told me she liked it very much.

TI swimming changed my life. I just wanted to thank Terry and everyone here for your inspiration.

Last edited by terry : 04-16-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Zhou
You're starting a health movement at your workplace. What a wonderful service to your colleagues.
And congratulations on completing 1000 yds. From here you could focus on stretching to a mile or more - which shouldn't be all that much of a stretch now that you've gone 1k.
Or you could focus on improving your pace a bit.

Whatever you do keep working on continuous improvements in form. Identify the weak points in your technique and give them the most attention.
Happy laps,
Terry

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 04-16-2011

dzhou01

Thanks Terry! I will continue to work on my technique. I feel my left side kick is not as effective and left hand entry generates more splashes and noise. I hope some day I will be able to swim in the San Francisco Bay and watch Golden Gate Bridge in a different angle.

My colleague and I are going to the pool together this weekend. Her cholesterol level is above the upper limit and hope to get fit and fun at the same time. She will practice balance lessons. It feels good when you can help!