View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018

sclim

The often expressed criticism of TI swimmers (not that I am necessarily seeing this attitude his discussion here) is that they just swim slowly misses the points that these slow TI swimmers may not have been swimmers at all if not for TI, that these slow swimmers may not care that they are swimming slowly because they are enjoying their sensual TI feedback so much that this state of affairs is just right for them, or lastly some f these slow swimmers are training slowly because they acknowledge that some of the efficient swimming skills have to be deeply ingrained before they can be trusted not to disintegrate under increasing power intensity pressure.

Surely it is logical that you can increase speed by increasing distance per stroke or by increasing stroke rate or by both. TI teaches that distance per stroke is the most elusive and subtle parameter to achieve and maintain, therefore it is the factor that should be kept most in mind. Which is not to say that TI practitioners do not value the increase in stroke rate or training in sheer power or endurance. It's just that these increases and improvements should be viewed still keeping an eye on your previously hard won stroke efficiency, to make sure tha latter quality does not degrade.

So the question should be for those that acknowledge their own swimming asymmetry is why are they asymmetrical, and with that asymmetry, do they think that each half stroke is as efficient as its mate on the other side? From my difficult, almost painful journey through inefficiency to get to my current level, I know how hard any level of efficiency is to achieve. Therefore, from my perspective, it would seem natural to assume that the asymmetrical swimmer has one side that is more efficient than the other. Unless that swimmer has an obvious uncorrectable anatomical anomaly such as a missing or non-normal limb, it would seem that this less efficient side should be identifiable and then targeted for improvement, even though that process of identification and change might be very difficult. This assumes of course, that the end product of increased speed is the ultimate desired product.

I don't know if I am speaking out of turn here, or even if I am remotely qualified to give an informed opinion. It's just that what slow but real progress I have made as an adult onset real swimmer seems to have come through accepting some underlying principles and always applying them. I am reasonably fit, in fact as a runner I would say I am at the top of my age group capability, so I have doubts about my ability to get much faster as a swimmer just by developing my local muscle strength or cardiovascular capacity. That just leaves efficiency and mechanical coordination as avenues of improvement. To me the logic is inescapable

Last edited by sclim : 09-16-2018 at 07:05 PM.