View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017
ScoopUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
strange, but you're still in this forum? Too bad, if this should be your last post.
No, I'm not going anywhere. I don't participate in all the discussions as I don't always have anything worthwhile to say. I do integrate quite a lot of TI drills into my swimming and like swimming that style in the pool so I still get a lot from the forum.

Quote:
If your goal is to swim look like Shinji, the wall clock will become at least secondary....
That is not my goal. Swimming laps in synchronised harmony with someone else is stunt swimming, not competitive swimming although of course I acknowledge he is not slow either.

Quote:
At very least, the same can be said about asymmetry. But what do you think has?
Might be necessary to define "efficence" in a new way...
To me efficiency is simply a ratio of speed to energy cost. Theoretical hydrodynamics is good on paper but a human is a moving body, not a solid vessel that doesn't change shape. Some very good swimmers will have a different pull on their left side to their right for example. One catch may be deeper than the other, one arm straighter than the other, one more under the body than the other. Why do we assume to be symmetrical must be better? The human body hasn't evolved symmetrical after all.

Quote:
Might be, this myth is a necessary finesse you can't miss, even if you think you're Swimming without any finesse...
Terry talks about imprinting a neural pattern so deeply that you can perform it even when under fatigue or challenging conditions. This is a noble aim. He achieves this by a martial arts style rigorous approach to his training, practising only good movements, taking as much rest as is necessary to perform the next set well. This proves even with hours in the water there is no instinctive 'feel' for the water however much you train, you have to program a movement pattern. A professional distance swimmer may swim 7+ KMs in a workout twice a day so they need a stroke that performs well under fatigue and is repeatable. There is no point your swim falling apart at the end of a 800m/1500m/5k/10k because you can't perform it under stress or when your body or central nervous system are fatigued.

Another approach to achieve the same result is to find a stroke that requires less conscious effort to hold together. I acknowledge that may require a bit more traditional aerobic/threshold conditioning which is contrary to TIs philosophy of fitness being a byproduct. There is a reason swim teams get very little rest between sets.

Quote:
Do not take it the wrong way :-)

Best regards,
Werner
I always like discussion and don't take contrary opinion personally.