View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSLEE View Post
In any swimming competition, it is obvious that quicker arm stroke motion will enable swimmers to swim faster, but for certain swimmers, no matter how we remind them to speed up their arm motion, they are still unable to do so.
It is obvious that, all other things being equal, a quicker arm stroke motion will enable swimmers to swim faster. But water is such a dense medium that stroking faster can actually slow you down if it results in even a slight deterioration in stroke technique, thereby increasing drag. So the trick is learning to increase stroke rate while maintaining perfect technique.

Quote:
My questions are:
a) why so? Is it because they lack arm strength which allow them to push faster in the water and swing faster above the water?
It's very unlikely that the second part is a problem, but the first part could be. But I'd make sure a swimmer's technique is good before worrying about his stroke rate.

Quote:
b) how to correct this shortfall? Can we train them to increase their stroke count?
After you've tuned a swimmer's stroke technique, I'd have them practice swimming in pace with a Tempo Trainer, and then gradually increase the TT pace.

Quote:
c) for my son when swims backstroke, he always pauses before entering water and pauses again before he starts pushing the water forwards. How to overcome this bad habit?
If I'm understanding the first part of your statement correctly, he's pausing with his recovering hand just above the water before puts it in. That's obviously going to unbalance him, so it's not a good thing. I'd suggest having him do the one-arm drills that are described in the TI Backstroke DVD. When his brain begins to recognize head lead and hand lead sweet spot as the end points of the stroke and recovery, I think you'll find that the pause before entering will disappear on its own.

But it's not a bad thing to pause after entering the water and before initiating the stroke, if his recovering arm doesn't pause. What he will be doing is staying in his hand lead sweet spot (which is a very streamlined position) during the first part of his recovery. The Backstroke DVD includes some drills that should help him to identify the ideal point in his recovery at which to initiate the armstroke.

Hope this helps!

Bob