View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015

s.sciame

Hi Tom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pamperin View Post
I had my best success as a runner when I included all 3 types of training each week.
that's pretty much the way I'm training since last summer and I'm finding it very rewarding: in a week,

1) one session is threshold oriented: the main set is typically about 2km long, at threshold pace, split in repetitions from 100 to 400m with short recoveries (10 to 20s)

2) one session is endurance oriented: the main set is typically about 4km long, swum at 3s to 6s/100m below threshold pace, split in 400m reps with short recoveries (<= 20s)

3) one session is not quite speed oriented, it's more about getting used to change pace for a while and then settle down to cruising pace again: the main set is typically 1.6km long, swum slightly faster than threshold, split in 100m reps with little bursts of sprint on 1 or 2 lengths out of 4 and simulating open water starts and sighting (short recoveries again)

Quote:
The tricky part will be staying focused more on the TI side of things, and not paying too much attention to the clock.
This is an example of how Shinji typically trained for the Rottnest Channel Swim (19.7km, next saturday by the way). You could find the whole thread interesting.
I, fwiw, don't find it that hard to stay focused on the TI side of things during my sets, always count SPL, use my favourite focal points etc.

Quote:
I think my best stroke is good enough to do well in the 10-miler, so my priority should probably be working to maintain that best stroke for longer distances.
Thanks!
The major concern I would have if I had to swim such a long distance (10 miles or 16km) would be adapting to stay 5h in cold water. Are you planning anything to address this?