View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013

Grant
Default Aging and swimming

Would like hear from the forum any insights regarding TI swimming and aging especially when one reaches over 75 years of age.
A quick personal background. Am 78 years old have been swimming for 20 years. Have been accessing TI for about 10 years. Because of this I have lowered my race times in Freestyle 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, and 1500m as well as 50 and 100 Fly. This was the pattern until 2 years ago when the rules changed for the use of full body suits. My times went up as expected but they were up much more than the 2% generally accredited to the suit. Have read where at the age of 75 there is on the average of 6% muscle loss per year compared to the 2% up till then. I attribute being able to hold or lower my times up until age 75 to the increase of efficiency developed using TI. Also the full body suit has to be acknowledged.
Now at 78 with a low normal testosterone reading the theory is that my system can not build muscle as in the days of yore. As I have recently had Prostate cancer and a complete prostatectomy (PSA Undectable post op 16months) I should not supplement testosterone as that can stimulate any cancer cells present.
Would like to hear if anyone has any suggestions that would enhance my ability to slow down the slide in times.
I am willing to age with grace and explore whatever may be out there to keep the swim times to a gentle increase.