View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017

sojomojo has disabled reputation

I’m reviving an old thread because I’ve been suffering from a bad case of Piriformis syndrome (sciatica pain) for the past 8 weeks. I was doing a high volume of high intensity interval running and I didn’t listen to my body when the butt pain first developed so I kept running. Bad mistake!

At its onset, the Piriformis syndrome pain was so excruciating that I couldn’t sleep, sit down or walk. After a couple of miserable weeks, the butt pain subsided but the sciatic pain persisted. I could NOT do any cardio workout except for swimming. Swimming was the only thing that allowed me to stay physically active (and sane) over the past 8 weeks.

The sciatica pain is in my right leg / foot so I can’t kick off the side of the pool or stand in the water using that leg.

I would never wish Piriformis syndrome or sciatica pain on anyone, but there was one side benefit. Since swimming was the only cardio exercise that didn’t aggravate my sciatica, I ended up swimming freestyle / front crawl almost everyday for at least 30 minutes. I worked on my swimming drills and skills and pushed past my limits in distance. I was pleasantly surprised that my swim endurance is now the best its ever been. I found myself able to swim a mile or more without getting totally gassed.

I guess my experience is different than the original OP in that swimming was my saving grace when it came to dealing with sciatica pain.