View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018

Zenturtle

Wow, that are a lot of questions to answer.
Basically I have used the TI forum as a diary to describe the focal points I have stumbled upon, and the focal points i am interested in and trying out at that moment.

As with all those focal points, they come and they go.
Weight on catch is an old thing that caught my attention when recovering more over the top and bringing the shoulder with arm forward more and feeling that weight press on the the low side arm.
The differnt recovery action also disturbed the rotational balance, so I had to search for a new balance. It also became obvious that that weight combined with a stable downward low arm gave a certain downward glide effect which reminded me of the feeling of surfing down from a wave, so calling it `surfing the recovery weight`.
That was a some time ago. The novelty wears off. You work on other things that dont work as well as on your best swims, and after a while you rediscover the same things again, only from a slightly improved total package.
That process goes on and on until there is nothing left to improve, which moment never comes.

- How long are you trying to include and test all these finesses?

swimming is mainly balancing all the forces all the time. This means that you are a little unbalanced most of the time and constantly trying to figure out what movement is causing the imbalance you just felt.
Its like riding on a bike where you never drive in a perfectly straight line. You are always adjusting a bit.
Swimming is a bit the same, but 10 times more complicated, which makes it interesting at the same time.
So to answer the question. I am always including and testing these finesses, some unconcious, others conscious.

- How do you decide, I'm failing with that or I do that right?
Mostly, when combining common sense and proprioception, what feels right is right.
You have to add a lot of common sense, knowing what is an effective movement and what is an automatic , easy movement.
For example. kicking from the knee is easy and can feel powerful, but you know its not the best movement pattern, and you hopėfully have enough self awareness to know when you are kicking from the knee.
So whan you observe, he, You are kicking from the knee there, stop that action immediately, and ask yourself, why am i doing that?
Mostly its someting at the front thats causing it, or you are just lazy and take the easy (short term)way out.
Same with the high elbow catch stuff. This is such an unnatural movement thats it doesnt come naturally if you just do what feels the most comfortable. The most comfortable is pulling with a dropped elbow.
So that requires repeating that movement forcefully untill it starts to feel natural.
I dont agree with the idea that it happens naturally, because 95-99% of the swimmers dont get it right, including most swim coaches.
How do you know you get it right? YOu dont know if you get it perfectly right, but you do know if you have improved upon your former action.You know that you have improved it a bit. You know your movement is differnt, you know the differnt feeling that belongs to that differnt movement.
When you focus on one aspect of your stroke, you can improve that part a bit, remenber the sensation it gives and repeat it the next time (if you swim often enough to not forget it in the mean time)

Still want to hear more Wermer?

Probably the most important question for most: is all that hair splitting making you faster?
Hmm. I dont know. People with real swim talent pick up all the cues they need along the way without thinking much about it. Swimming a lot is enough for them.
Probably I am thinking a bit too much. If all the time thinking about it was spent in the pool, I probably was swimming better/faster, but i wouldnt know what I was doing.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 09-06-2018 at 11:19 PM.