View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016

IngeA

There are several things which can induce pain in the shoulder, here a list of my former problems:

- pulling to hard: You should not really pull, but let the hand where it is and pull your body over the hand.

- pulling to early: does not mean wrong timing, but it's not well for the shoulder if you pull when your hand (and arm) is in an high outstretched position. Even with high shoulder flexibility which makes it possible to spear horizontal, you can't pull from that position. You have to let the arm sink under the horizontal line before pulling. Esp. if you really try to pull with a high elbow. Trying to rotate the shoulder in this position (high elbow is rotating the shoulder) irritates the tendon of a shoulder muscle (supraspinatus) and the synovial bursa of the shoulder.

the same in the recovery

- ellbow lead is a good thing but one can overdo it. I was spearing to late in the attempt to have a nice leading elbow :o)

What you can do at home to get the shoulder right again:

- seeing a doctor, maybe you have an inflammation. It takes ages cure an inflammation in the shoulder esp. without medicaments.

- training the rotating muscles of your shoulder and the biceps (someone should show you who knows how to do and who can correct you)

- training the muscles which fix the scapula.

By the way, I began swimming freestyle because I had problems with my shoulders and always had pain when swimming breaststroke (backstroke is nearly impossible in our crowded pool). At some time it was worse. That was the point when I tried to figure out what was wrong. Now the problems with the shoulder are completely gone.