View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default One Week; Four Practices: Lake-Pool-Lake-Pool

It's been three weeks since I posted. Most of that time I've been laid a bit low by a combination of gastroenteritis and cellulitis. Both probably due to low white blood cell count following chemo. I swam 2-3x/week but mostly short and restorative.

This week I still need to take it pretty easy but decided to log what I did. I alternated lake and pool practices this week.

Tuesday 8/23 -- 1600m at Lake Minnewaska
I swam four 400-meter loops along the cable. Because my energy level was low, I swam quite gently.

On northbound 200m legs, I focused on forming long, sleek, stable lines with each side of my body; ‘holding my place’ by applying feather-light pressure with a soft lead hand; and avoiding water disturbance as I entered and rotated to form a new line.

Southbound, I counted strokes, trying to swim 200 meters in fewer than 190 strokes. It took laserlike concentration to reach the end of the cable in 188 to 189 perfect strokes.

Wednesday 8/24 -- 1600m at Ulster County Pool
I swam another mile in 8 repetitions of 200 meters. Again I swam gently, but I challenged myself to steadily increase my 200-meter pace while maintaining Stroke Length. My baseline focal points were the same as at the lake.

On my first 200, I averaged 43 strokes per 50-meter length and my 200 time was 4:00. On the next three repeats my time improved only slightly, to 3:57, but I gradually reduced stroke count to an average of 41 SPL by being softer and more patient with my lead hand. On the final four, I added back a few strokes per 200, while swimming slightly faster. On my final 200, I averaged 42 SPL and finished in 3:54.

Friday 8/26 -- 1600m at Lake Minnewaska
Today was another day of restorative pace swimming.
I did 4 sets of 2 x 200, each set with a new focal point, counting strokes on the 2nd 200 in each pair.
1st 400 (2 x 200) Weightless Head 190 strokes
2nd 400 Extend Bodyline and Open Axilla as I stretch forward. 181 strokes
3rd 400 Form lines with each side of body 183 strokes
4th 400 Move thru water like arrow thru air - slightly brisker pace 185 strokes
I felt really fantastic on the final 400m--really as good as I've ever felt. I think this was the product of being so focused on quality of sensation.

Sat 8/27 -- 2500m at Ulster County Pool
This was--by 100m--the longest practice I'd done all summer. But I felt really refreshed at the end, no doubt because I'd swum the entire thing at restorative pace.
I did this as a series of 4 x 500m continuous swims, with the final 500 as 5 x 100m, resting 5 cleansing breaths between. I counted strokes every length of the practice and sequenced focal points in an orderly way.
1st 500 Weightless Head - On non-breathing and especially breathing strokes, I strive to feel as if I'm resting the weight of my head on a 'pillow' of water molecules.
2nd 500 Weightless Head + Mail Slot Entry. Maintain focus from 1st 500. Add new focus of slipping forearm through same slot fingers cut on entry.
3rd 500 Mail Slot + Stretch Forward/Open Axilla. Maintain Mail Slot focus from 2nd 500. Add new focus on reaching forward until I feel the axilla or underarm open fully.
4th 500 Open Axilla + Form Lines. Maintain focus from 3rd 500. Add new focus on forming long sleek lines with each side of body after reaching forward and opening axilla.
5th 500 Form Line + Draw Line Maintain focus from 4th 500. Add new focus on drawing a parallel line with fingertips on recovery. I.E. Form and Hold a Line with right side of body, while drawing a parallel line with fingertips of right hand on recovery.

Stroke Count range remained steady between 41 and 44 SPL per 50m pool length.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story