View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I'm not clear on what "P timing" is and how it differs from what we teach, but I think it's important to understand we teach consistent mechanics with variable stroke timing.

The consistent mechanics include:
1) Hand below body line at catch -- because this effortlessly lifts legs toward the surface, reducing drag, turbulence, and effort.
2) Hand and arm positioned so that initial pressure is toward the rear--so resultant force moves YOU forward.
3) When you begin press, apply pressure with patience, care and precision to ensure that your pressure converts at a high level into locomotion--not just commotion. I.E. Water molecules remain still, while you move forward.

The variable stroke timing occurs through:
1) The proper--and proven most successful--learning process for swimming the TI way includes a period, usually 2 to 6 months, for learning and imprinting foundational skills, before progressing to advanced or exacting skills. Among the skills we put into the Mastery category is Catch-and-Press. During the foundation building phase we encourage developing TI swimmers to spend several months focused on HOLD (your place) with the lead hand, rather than actively pressing back. This allows time to unlearn 'ripping the hand" heedlessly through the water as Suzanne put it. It also promotes a highly integrated 'core-driven' (as opposed to shoulder-driven) stroke. This tends to promote a very patient lead hand. In fact, among the key Focal Points is to have lead hand be still for a moment after extension. I went through this myself and in retrospect it was invaluable in developing a stroke that remained effective as I advanced stroke timing later.
2) In the next phase of development, we strongly recommend stroke timing adjustments be made with pinpoint precision using the left button on the Tempo Trainer.

Finally, I still practice HOLD at least 50% of the time. Doing so keeps my stroke effective when I'm in the final 100m of a 1.5k to 5k OW race and am shoulder to shoulder with someone else, and pushing to squeeze out whatever speed my body is capable of.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story