View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Lennart posed this question to me in an email and I started another thread with a partial, and anonymous quote from his message.
As I see it, there are two distinct kinds of "fast" swimming:
1) Trying to improve your speed, but swimming with essentially the same style you usually use.
2) Sprinting -- I.E. Trying to swim fast for a short distance, usually 50 to 100 yd/m, if what you usually do is longer or more leisurely.

What Lennart experienced, the strong tendency to overkick is highly common when people who lack a neural circuit for sprinting try to do so.

There are two ways to sprint, each with its own way of keeping the kick effective. One is to try to swim fast with a 2BK. Lennart's approach of using Tempo Trainer at higher-than-usual tempos, synching the beep to your toe-flick, is the best way to create a 'sprinting circuit' in your nervous system.

As Lennart experienced, the nervous system can attune to the task with pretty marked speed.

As for developing a 6BK sprinting circuit, that involves learning to kick steadily, but smoothly, and fit that seamlessly into a long, smooth and powerful stroke. Either takes practice.

An example of an improvement goal on a set such as this would be to try to complete the fastest tempo in fewer strokes. E.G. If Lennart, after repeating the set 5 or so times, can limit his SPL at .71 to 19, he will be swimming 1.4 sec faster for 25m than the first time he attempted the set.

I would also consider starting the set at incrementally faster tempos, maybe dropping his initial tempo by .02 each time he does the set.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 02-14-2011 at 10:36 PM.