View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony0000 View Post
Thanks for your extensive and thoughtful reply. I had thought of myself as "good" swimmer I wanted to know how other "good" (or somewhat "better") swimmers breath and stroke. I now grasp your point that this question makes little sense because there is such a range of abilities, body types and fitness levels. (If you're sustaining <1/sec and breathing every 4 strokes (and I assume a reasonably low SPL), my hat off to you! I'd love to see the video.)
What is reasonably low SPL? Lots of factors determine SPL. I am 5'7" so my SPL is naturally higher than others who are taller. As for data points, I am currently swimming about 16-19 SPL for 25y at about 1s tempo depending on the day. Is that good or bad? It's actually where I ended up and stopped stressing about SPL for a while because I needed to work on my left spear body driven propulsion aspects - Still, someday after I get to some level of improvement with my left side spear body propulsion, I'll go back to stressing about SPL again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony0000 View Post
I had fallen into the all too common mistake of assuming that I'm average or somewhat above average. Based on your advice, I'll simply try to keep pushing myself to achieve the stroke rate and breathing style I've set as a goal.

I also appreciate the link to the Sun Yang video. Excellent commentary. (The video, however, is not an example of a fast TI stroke since Sun Yang does not employ the patient hand/glide element that I consider essential to TI. Again, I encourage you to post an underwater video since visual modelling can be both inspirational and a highly effective means of learning.)
I think we disagree on Sun Yang's video. Despite high tempo, he still exhibits a patient lead hand. Given the high tempo, such things are VERY hard to see - and freeze framing or frame by frame viewing on a web streamed Youtube video is hard to do.

In this video, you can see Coach Dave Cameron's stroke - at a slower tempo, you can see his patient lead hand very clearly.

Here are two other Shinji videos:

How To Swim Freestyle by Shinji Takeuchi - Acceleration

How To Swim Freestyle by Shinji Takeuchi - Recovery