View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony0000 View Post
When I swim the standard front crawl, I have no trouble breathing bilaterally. When I swim TI, my stroke temp is slower. Stroke/1.25s feels about the best for me. Thus, when I swim bilaterally, I am breathing only once every 3.75s. I find this creates an oxygen deficit that catches up with me after 50m or 100m. Is this typical, or should I be able to breathe bilaterally at 1.25, perhaps through greater relaxation of my arms and legs? My other option, I guess, would be to increase my stroke rate, but that seems to defeat the point of TI.

Thanks,

Tony
My question to you would be, why would swimming TI mean a slower tempo? And why do you feel you are not swimming TI if you increase your tempo?

Today when we train, we use the TT to challenge our nervous system to maintain form at faster and faster tempos. The nervous system is usually our first focus, and our energy system (aerobic, anaerobic, strength) second because our form tends to fall apart when we attempt a tempo that is beyond the point that our body is capable of maintaining proper form.

To attain your bilateral breathing at a faster than 1.2s tempo, you should practice and continually challenge your nervous system by swimming a lot at that tempo and also faster tempos for shorter distances while varying the rest interval. Varying the tempo by as little as .01s can mean the difference between maintaining bilateral breathing or not. Gradually increase the distances you swim at a faster tempo to imprint adaptation over time and distance. Do not let form waver no matter what.

Also you should figure out how to relax enough such that you don't use up so much oxygen that you need to take a breath more than once every 3 strokes. But as you train this, you are also increasing your body's energy system capacity to maintain work at higher tempos as well....