Thread: more propulsion
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011

CoachRyan
Default More Propulsion

Spider and Westy,

Do either of you have videos of your swimming that are recent? That would help a lot. It is difficult to say what the issue could be without seeing you swim.

However, I will give you a few things that I would look at assuming that you have good balance and good streamlining in the water.

1) Hip rotation like you mentioned. If your hips and upper body aren't rotating together then that means you are not getting the full potential energy from your "high side" as you make the weight shift on each stroke. Don't let yourself over-rotate when you work on this though. The goal would be to rotate together...not necessarily to increase rotation. You don't want to end up on your side and out of balance.

2) Check your front quadrant timing. In other words, check that your lead hand does not begin the pull until the recovery hand is beginning to pierce the water just forward and to the side of the head. You lose streamlining when you pull too early and you also again lose the "high side" potential energy because your body begins to rotate before you spear forward. To take full advantage of that energy, you must remain in the "skate position" with body rotated with lead hand in place during your recovery until the "trigger point" when you release the energy by spearing forward from the hand entry point, rotating your hips and upper body, and initiating the catch/pull all at the same time.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense and let me know if you have a video I can watch.
ryan@tribasetraining.com
360-621-6830