View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub View Post
I forgot to mention, that with the help of the Rangs, I may have succeeded in zeroing in on when the legs sink. When I start the lap, I push off the wall into a superman glide before I start my strokes. I glide about 5 yards or so and my legs do not sink. With my face still in the water and looking directly below me, I do two strokes, my legs don't sink. Then I take a breath and put face back into the water which is when I can feel my legs sink a little. Then I begin to make adjustments to streamline my body, bring my feet back up over the next two strokes with my face still in water.

I need to video my stroke so I can post here for suggestions. I think it may be the way I turn to breath in and put my face back in the water. The mechanics may be wrong throwing my body off balance.

Dubdub
Hi Dub, Being aware of your hips/legs sinking when breathing is excellent, most swimmers have no idea that's actually happening and why swimmers find it so hard to breathe.

This blog outlines a process to help you breathe easy, establish good timing, and maintain posture when rolling to air. Select this link: Breathing It's Overrated

Once you remove all the added terrestrial movement patterns (i.e. looking for the promise land of air) and remove tension in neck, shoulders, chest is when you will find the "easy breath". There really is no breathing stroke and non-breathing stroke, only a seamless breath has become integrated into your stroke.

Good luck and be patient with the process!

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com

Last edited by CoachStuartMcDougal : 08-17-2018 at 06:10 PM.