View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016
liolio

I tried to do the same. It is interesting to swim as i notice that I was sticking to some people that were doing twice the amount of movements.
I'm considering something else at the moment, an approach not meant for sprint that would leverage a whole body ondulation, whip kick and tiny arm sweep (snaky? I mean those to move are clearly different, close but different) than the breathing.

It is interesting as you have to be in a different pace (heart and breathing) than front crawling. You are to breath slightly less so as a result the energy put into the whip then the dolphin kick and the arm sweep as to be well though out to be sustainable.

The movement really start with the arm movement and the breathing. I'm toying with a pretty small movement which recover create few drag and create some amount of elevation (not too high one could be side breathing if it wants). From there, some of the potential energy won through the height is pass into the movement through a proper head movement. It is pretty snaky but somehow as few as possible you don't energy to get diffused in up/down movement and you want to cut the water as clean and relaxed as possible.
Then while entering streamline I will a conservative and compact whip kick, then a conservative dolphin kick (not full body movement) meant to maintain the speed. Then comes the arm sweep and breathing which as I said earlier is done with with a focus on leveraging the energy stored in the head. Somehow the arm (sweep), head (breathing), going into streamline are done into a pretty snaky manner which I find make the recovery for the whip kick fell more natural less draggy and less demanding. As your body flexes slightly when the "wave" reach your knee you finish the recovery till your ready for the whip kick.
As I said not too much ondulation, actually as few as possible while keeping thing smooth. Then you want to be really flat and streamlined after the kick, then the dolphin kick which ends into a full body snaky movement for the arm action and breathing all the while it help to prepare the whip kick.

May be a good drill would be whip kick -> Snaky -> whip kick, etc. as it helps to feel how the whip kick preparation can blend into the end on the snacky movement.
The other drill that works along that would be to blend the arm and head movement into the sneaky movement. Some TI videos shows that but that movement get lost once you either "proper" breaststroke or butterfly. I see a lot of people that enter the water really wrong at the pool.
The strength the whip kick has set the straight into streamline but there is a massive loss of momentum. It is obvious when you replace the whip kick by a dolphin kick or full body snaky move if you are entering the water (head and arms) right. If you dont the kick will hardly get you straight with few momentum.

I'm toying around... I wonder if the dolphin kick is worse it. I lack hard chronometric data to confront my perception and feeling.

As for the video, you get high out of the water but if you look closely you will see that the energy stored into your upper body goes "nowhere". It is like a "door" the lower part height does not change but as a whole your torse and head fall back into line with that height. Dosing so I suspect you push water in forward killing momentum.
Other than that I like your dive and following streamline, really nice :)