View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
Suzanne

Were you swimming in a 25 meter or 25 yard pool? I noted that your first 4 lengths took only about 91 seconds. Awesome!

What I really like about your stroke (and other successful TI swimmers) is the fluidity (is there such a word?) and the obvious forward motion rather than the side to side motion.

Question about spl--your count seemed to be 20 to 23 on some lengths. Is that in your green zone?

Overall you make this look quite easy. If you had to attach a RPE of your swim, what number would you give?

Sherry
Sherry, thank you VERY MUCh for the compliments!

That was a 25yd pool. 20-23 is the high end of my green zone. Effort for the first 4 lengths was a 7.5 to 8/10. I would have gone to 9 or 9.5, but I limited my effort to maintain the streamlining feel that I'd been practicing. What you see esp in teh last 1/2 length of the first 4 lengths is my max effort while keepign things together. I'm on the verge of falling apart there.

that first 100 was actually the end if the 10-15 practice that that video represents.

It looks easy because i've practiced focal points using deliberate practice principals for 7 years now, thanks to Terry's teaching, and jus tprior to that, Maria filmed those other clips, gave me immediate feedback. Tiny changes I made for the 100 included left arm wider and left arm stable while breathing (you can see those flaws after the first 100...the were minimized after I saw them).

Anyone can do it if you let go of time or outcome. The growth is in the practice of the skill, not in the skill itself. Doesn't matter what the skill is, if you practice a skill you'll develop better practice habits. Don't worry about where you are in your green zone or what the time is, find a tiny thing you'd like to improve, do a standing rehearsal, do a drill for 5-10 minutes, do 10 repeats of 4-6 strokes no breath, do 10 1/2 lengths with 1 breath.

i STILL practice this way.

That was a 1:29.95 100yd with open turns according to my watch. Before I swam it, I KNEW with 100% certainty I was going to do a 1:30.00 and no faster, based on many many many many many tiny repeats ... just pushoffs and pushoffs with 1 stroke, and pushoffs with 3 strokes in the week prior. No swim the week prior was more than 700 yards ,and in the prior 3 weeks, all swims were exxactly 1650...I did 5 of those. Prior to that, 500-1000 yard swims, sometimes that distance over an hour.

What you're seeing is not fitness in any way , shape or form, except for rotator cuff stabilization and SI joint stabilizaton for the past 6 months. Shoulders and hips and that's it.

My aerobic fitness is nil right now.

One tiny step forward at a time.
Fresh Freestyle

Last edited by CoachSuzanne : 04-28-2016 at 03:24 AM.