View Single Post
Old 04-27-2016
deggy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggy1 View Post
Ah ok, I hadn't realized there was such a thing as a front snorkel. I've tried with a standard snorkel before but that has got in the way too much. I've just been looking up some front snorkels for sale, they look really good actually and might be the solution I'm looking for.

CoachSuzanne, sorry to hear about the problems you suffer with your neck. Mine doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as yours and I can understand why with your problems you prefer to swim the way you do. Thanks for responding to my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
So if I can swim freestyle without hurting my neck, so can you! Here is a video of my swimming as recently as 3 weeks ago...12 months after the car accident & first neurosurgical consultation. IN this swim I had the sensation that my head was barely moving to breath. It moved more in fact when I was NOT breathing (since the body rtates both ways).

Let me know what you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOtSZi9lHHc
Wow! You've got a fantastic stroke technique and fitness. I understand where you are coming from when you are talking about your head moving less when you are NOT breathing and I guess its about technique. Maybe my biggest problem is the technique. Although you have a much worse injury, my problem is where my neck will jar sometimes at it won't go right for days or weeks so that always worries me. When I swim without taking a breathe I just keep focused forward and don't twist my neck at all. I'm going to play around with my technique though as I think I'd benefit more from continuous swimming rather than having to keep having breaks for air after each length. I'll get one of the snorkels mentioned to play around with that too. Thanks for the inspiration and good on you for overcoming your injuries.