Thread: The Talent Code
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009

haschu33

I just stumbled on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachEricD View Post
...My thought was this. She had a clear image in her head of what the song should sound like. In our practice, the most common struggle I find is that we often don't know the difference between what we feel and what are aiming for....
That is an interesting point. Well, I watched videos quite a lot. Yes, I mean swim-videos, TI-videos. The 'Easy Freestyle' DVD, and some of the stuff you find at YouTube.

Now, I can't swim freestyle, because I never learned it. I am in the process of learning it. But from the videos I watched, I know how it feels to swim a nice and easy frestyle stroke. Might sound funny, but I just know it. On the feeling level I do have a clear image of how it is like and what I am aiming for. And when I am in the pool I and doing my drills, I always knew, when something was right, because I know already beforehand how it feels. Of course it might turn out, that I am all wrong.
And I am very grateful for the 'Easy Freestyle' DVD, it is brilliant for it's purpose: it just delivers pictures, pictures and more pictures.

Maybe this has to do with the 'mirror neurons', because as far as I know, it means that you form in your brain neuronal patterns that are like the ones of a person that you are focussing on. That way picking up the feeling from someone else, maybe.

It is to a certain extent only, though, my image of the feeling. E.g., I did not expect that swimming, gliding or just 'lying' 'on' the water in a balanced position brings such a deep feeling of well-being. This was surprising to me (But I know now why you guys are all hooked ;-) ).

Some of the stuff that was said here about this book 'talent code' sounds quite strange, frankly speaking (I didn't read the book). Particular the title, should have been 'practicing code' and not talent code, as it sounds from what you are saying here.

If the book actually wants to make a point, that there is no talent, but just practice - that is simply ridiculous, IMHO of course.

And it is very dangerous to draw conclusions, when there is only limited knowledge.

One example is this here, quoted by Terry:
'Psychology, more specifically self-perception, is a huge factor. For instance, in a decades-long study of 100s of young music students in one school district, one factor predicted with amazing accuracy how accomplished they became after 10 years of practice. At age 7 or 8, as they were picking out their instrument, before even beginning lessons, they were asked how long they expected to play - this year, several years, or for life. The answer they gave at that time was the strongest predictive factor in how well they would play upon graduating from HS.'

Yes maybe, that was the strongest predictive factor. But it was only the strongest predictive factors of those, that have been looked for. Maybe, the answer those youngsters gave, was not a cause but an effect. The remaining question then is: what caused them to give this answer ? And there will be another question following that answer, quite sure.
It can get very misleading, if things are not thought through to the very end. Unfortunately we often don't know, if or when we hit the end.
Actually what is talked about here is open water, very open water, it is not a pool.

By the way, years ago I saw a TV-feature on Anne-Sophie Mutter, the german worldclass violinist. There was a piece of her playing the violin when she was nine years old. When you see that, you know there is something called talent. There was practice, too, of course. But not enough for that result.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by haschu33 : 10-04-2009 at 10:34 PM.