View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
Yes, sure, I understand your point.
What I wanted to say is that although that 'maintaining the same SPL' at higher rates does give you the idea of some underlying consistency in fact this is elusive: swimming with an SPL of 17 at a rate of 1.4 or swimming with an SPL of 17 at a rate of 0.7 means that you have to double the speed with which your arms move. And that is where (at least for me) all those pointers that are 'easy to control' are not so easy to control any more.
I still believe the problem is the rate and not the SPL. Again, I think we amateur swimmers tend to have problems with too high SPL at high stroke rates and not with too low SPL. Wish I had the choice to say 'do I want to swim a few 25m laps at 0.8 with an SPL of 15 or of 18 today?'
I absolutely agree with the point is the 'too'. But I doubt it that we really have a problem here with a SPL that is 'too' low - at high rates. It sounds slightly academic to me.

BTW I don't mean to offend you, on the contrary. I appreciate your posts.
No offense taken (never in fact). Sorry I tend to be straight to the point these days. I want to chat as much as I can but often have to cut short.

My comments (in this thread) apply to wanting to keep a low SPL at a higher rate. If SPL automatically raises as a result of increasing the rate, then the comments don't really apply.

At some point though, SPL stabilizes (of course, along with the technique). So much so that as I explained in the past, I don't really have to count my strokes to know how many strokes I did. If I flip on right arm, that's either 15 or 17. Both will feel very differently. If I flip on left, other than if it's the first length, it's always 16. Always. Because my stroke never fall apart to the point where it would become 18. And I never try hard enough to retain 14, as it doesn't make sense for me (too big of a gear).

Regardless of how I increase the rate, that DPS is rock solid and won't vary (sprinting in excess of 80rpm aside of course). So for me, 14 is too hard. It's not optimal. I can't swim my fastest at that. 15 would hold only if I'm incredibly fit. Orelse I'll loose it. And when you loose your DPS (compared to what was planned), then you're cooked. You slow down, and very often it's impossible to change this by increasing the rate.

Now this last piece wasn't discussed at all in this thread. But that's how things are for me. If I start at 16, with a rate which gives me the desired speed, and that I don't loose water along the event, the pace will be constant. If I start at 15, and start loosing water (DPS), then nothing I might do will change anything from the fact that I will slow down, and probably record a "miss". Maybe things are different with others, but for me that's how things have been.

What this means. Before beginning say, a 1500m time trial. I got to guess what SPL I will be able to hold, and begin at "that" SPL. If I'm too optimistic, crack. It's surely will be a miss.

Injuries will start to appear if I stubbornly train for keeping a DPS which is not healthy for me. With time (with a lot of time), pains will appear. In my case though, it's more the elbows that get injured.

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 11-27-2014 at 10:58 PM.