View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
Yes, it's the obvious, but I don't think it applies here. The pull phase is not the problem for the shoulder, it's the EVF and catch, or entering the water while internally rotating the shoulder (thumbs first). So the problem might be a technical problem related to a too strong catch or something like that at faster rates. Which would mean the problem is related to the speed and not to the SPL - unless someone applies force in an adverse shoulder position only when swimming fast with a low SPL - and not when swimming fast with a high SPL.
You never know.
But I don't think the shoulder problem comes from applying too much 'pull' power at a fast rate with low SPL.
The key word to remember in this thread, is "too".

Could one use a rate/length balance which drifts "too much" toward the length side? I believe so.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that the 2 quotes to which you reply are general, and not restricted to possible health issues. For example, riding your bike using a development (gear ratio) which is "too" (again, this key word is important) big will not necessarily hurt anything. It will just make the resulting performance less than optimal.

My main fear, as far as my own athletes are concerned, isn't injury, it's performances. However, it's definitely possible to irritate articulations (shoulders, but also elbows) in "trying too much". The 2 technical issues that you mention which are often blamed for shoulder impingement are relatively easy to control. I understand both of them.