View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017

Talvi

Hi fooboo, somehow I missed your reply. Thanks.

I think we may actually be saying the same things. At least it seems so to me. But I think you are a swimmer from long before TI ?

Anyway, what I have learned is that it is for instance about NEITHER keeping the spear extended NOR catching early that's THE key. It's neither. It's both. It is just as easy to learn to catch late as to catch early.

Balance is just that, and it includes everything.

In the same way as with the catch/spear timing the kick/hip timing is also key, not whether the knee bends or not or whether it adds to drive or propulsion or not. Learning not to bend my knees in the kick PLUS learning a decent timing of the kick has led me to perceive what I FEEL as the "slap-kick". More than that it has led me to begin to get the feel of swimming downhill.

The slap-kick may be a misperception i.e video might show something different. The point is that it FEELS like a slap-kick not a "drive-kick" (though incidentally it also feels like a better drive!). By feeling my legs right up at the surface I feel my horizontality more strongly and with that the spearing feels like me diving down, but then - MAGIC HAPPENS - I feel the buoyancy of "total immersion" bring me not deeper down into the water but up to the surface - breathing becomes easier. Who would guess that?! It's counter intuitive.

BTW another learning point for me last week has been to focus on the non-kicking leg - to keep it extended in the line of body and head.

Locomotive bio-mechanical movement is extremely complex. There is an infinite variety of ways the myriad individual movements can be combined and yet still result in, for instance, walking. We cannot micro-manage the thousands of micro-decisions being made while we move, just the big things, the simple basics. The rest comes down to *"feel". In swimming the problem is that this feel, the efficiency/timing, provides 70% or more of propulsion whereas in walking it's 10% or less. We're built to walk, not to swim!

In this thread I'm NOT actually saying anything new or contradictory just offering a different perception. I'm doing so because for me the standard descriptions no longer helped. I felt I WAS doing what they described and felt myself to be doing what they described.

Change involves feeling something different. The different "feelings" I am discovering and offering here are for those who find themselves in need of them. Fooboo you are most definitely not one of those, and I envy you that.

Yesterday I met a young man who had not been able to swim more than 25m freestyle continuously, 50m max in a pool. With a coach (not TI) he learned to swim a continuous 1 km - 1.5 km in THREE WEEKS. I am sure he learned EXACTLY the same things as we are all learning here. He just leanred them a different way and would describe them in different terms.

There are many languages. That's all.

While I'm here, I ought add another recent learning point for me: to ensure the lead arm/spear does not begin to catch during the breath. It's a big one, and I find it tough, "scary", but the result is forced development of better head position, greater relaxation, and better feel for streamlining, as well as feeding into improved timing.

FWIW

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 07-24-2017 at 10:16 AM.