View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedup View Post
Much more confident in the water and again can somewhat do the basic breastroke 'head above water', again in shallwo water, but after about 10 hours of lessons i feel im no closer to learning proper breastroke or freestyle as i just cant seem to get my head out of the water between strokes to get a breath of air or if i do i still seem to take in water and that just causes me to have to stop after 2-3 strokes.

I dont feel like its a fear of water as i can keep my head under for a number of strokes, although i suppose i dont feel too relaxed either, quite tense during lessons.

Really fed up and thinking i should just stick with what i have which is the basic breastroke, better than nothing i suppose.
Your situation doesn't sound any worse than that of a number of swimmers we've successfully worked with in the past.

It's hard to tell from your post exactly what your problem is (since we can't see you). But I'm going to suggest that you try the following (just for diagnostic purposes) and tell us what happens:

If you can do basic breaststroke, I'm assuming you can do a breaststroke kick. What happens if you keep your arms at your sides, hands on your thighs, and do breaststroke kicking on your back? Since you will be on your back, your mouth and nose should be above the water, so breathing shouldn't be a problem.

Bob