View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Tom
I'm not sure why no one has replied to this post in three months, but you've shared an invaluable insight.

Easy days are beneficial in so many ways. Opportunities to just experience flow. Best pace for perfecting form. And if you're training in a goal-oriented way, the restoration you gain from easy days make the pace-oriented days much stronger.
Thanks for the comment--I've really come to appreciate these kinds of practices--it's a great opportunity to ignore the clock completely and just FEEL, which sets up lots of opportunities to notice what is happening in a very curious, non-judgmental way.

I had been missing out the "noticing" aspect of practice a little, since all of my sessions came with pre-conceived goals to some extent (focus on recovery, work toward increased tempos, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
I'll share this. When I do an easy day, I strive to make it physically easy, but cognitively challenging.
I'd be interested to hear more about how--I don't think of my easy days (I've continued with one per week) as "cognitively" challenging so much as "mindfullness-ly" challenging, if that makes sense. I really try to get beyond language and the need to describe things to myself in words, and just FEEL and be as smooth and easy as I can. Really, it's a completely absorbing, ego-less and detached curiosity that takes over (another way to describe flow, perhaps). I love it, that's for sure.