View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013

Talvi

About 30 yrs ago with a few friends I crewed a square rigger to the Channel Islands and our first port of call on the trip was Jersey! We dropped anchor a few hundred metres out and rowed ashore. The sun was hot, the sea felt warm, the ship looked close, so I thought I'd swim out. She seemed further than she loooked, but I kept going, shimmying up the anchor rope with a sense of accomplishment. On board though I was quickly cold, despite the sun, and, as my clothes were on the shore, I felt I had no alternative to diving back overboard! The water felt in turns icy then warm, and as I swam a feeling of tiredness grew. I became simply fed up with swimming. It's a hard thing to describe. It wasn't that feeling of wanting to reach the other side. I just felt like stopping swimming. When I finally walked up the beach I realised I had tunnel vision. Children stopped and stared as I lurched like a drunk towards my friends. Not long after we went to get some lunch but as soon as we turned into the shadows of the houses I couldn't go on. I needed sun. The sand was hot and welcoming. I burrowed in, and the next thing I knew, my friends were preparing to return to the ship.

I realised it had been my first taste of hypothermia. It's a problem I have with my OW swimming here too.

My own ability to keep going is a state of mind more than a physical limitation but no less real because of that. My 1km was in open water, along a 110m island shore which, until I charted my progress on a map, I hadn't realised curved so much that it's actually not possible to see more than 25m "ahead". Doing repeated laps along that is something I can do relatively easily, but, starting from the same point, doing much more than one lap across the 105m bay on the other side defeats me still ! The distance is virtually identical but the experience is totally different. My mile was in a pool but, staring across various stretches of open water, it makes no sense!

What did you mean by "to see if I could get a little bit further on my side"?

I'm envious of your three stroke breathing because it enables better balance between sides. Mine settles into a two stroke pattern as distance increases, with my out-breath following immediately my head submerges, in much the same way as I breath when I become tired jogging. In this I never hold my breath. I just time in-breaths to coincide with not being underwater! Three stroke breathing entails much more control of out-breaths though, and that's where I start getting into problems. Any thoughts?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov