View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
I am quite sure from the context that the elbow of the spearing arm - which is about to catch and pull - is meant here. But I have to admit that I don't really get the point. When your arm is already in a forward stretched position how could you move your elbow forward ???
You don't so much actively move it forward as actively NOT move it downward while the catch is starting. Because you have forward momentum int he water, your elbow is still moving forwards...as long as you have not moved it. Tricky, huH?

Since it's easier to think of an action, rather than a non-action, thinking of actively moving the elbow forward helps you grab ahold of an armful of water during the catch action. It also places the scapula in a slightly better position to allow internal rotation.

Try this: Standing or sitting in a chair, raise one arm directly overhead. Retract your shoulder blade so that it is low as if you were going to put your shoulder blade in your back pocket. From here, try to rotate the wrist and forearm to 90degrees with the fingers pointing forward AND while keeping the elbow still. (You can't do it, or can only do it very awkwardly with the forearm very close to your chest. )

Now...shift the shoulder blade forward...what direction does the elbow move? (also forward). As you try to rotate the wrist and forearm to 90degrees, shift the shoulder blade forward a bit more to help ease the movement...what direction does the elbow move ? (hint: forward).

Moving the elbow forward actively by shifting the shoulder blade, and passively by NOT moving it downward, to enable a great catch.

The exact shape & angle of this catch will vary with each person depending on flexibility.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle