View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013
Coach

CoachMatHudson

I cannot but help take the TI mindset into anything I want to learn now.

I wanted to get just a first taste of some yoga in order to create a portable form of mindful training while landlocked (if I am ill or in a hotel room, for instance). Upon talking with TI Coach Tomas from Czech Rep who practices ashtanga I picked up a video so I could observe the ideas and experiment in on my own time. I have had the video for a year now and since I only occasionally make time to do it I have not watched past the first 5 minutes because I don't want to get overwhelmed with more until I have the first concept down well! Crazy, huh? I could explore Sun Salutation for a few years I think!

And I have also acquired an appreciation for aikido and have attended a couple classes. My practicing friend teaches me little things when we are together and then I chew on them for a while. In the first class I visited the sensei (he seems to be a stellar guy and is reported to be excellent 2nd degree BB sensei) led us through a range of stretches and simple moves that I was overwhelmed like any student in our workshops! I could have taken the entire class just to practice the kneeling walk or the tumble without stumbling each time! And that is what I wanted to do- I wanted to stop him after 5 minutes and take 15 to work on just that one concept. But that is not how the class worked.

I find myself wanting to approach both of these with slow, methodical examination. I found that I was a bit overwhelmed with the way the aikido class was taught, but my friend explained the reasoning of this and I see the possible sense of it. I wanted to break it down the TI way. It makes me want to experiment further to grasp the advantages of that approach - perhaps it makes sense to practice a 'martial' art in this way.

But the main thing that I recognized in myself was that I am reluctant to do either of these until I know I can and will devote some decent level of regular attention to train for these basic skills. They deserve it, just like our swimming does. If I climbed, or did aikido or yoga like I work on my TI skills I'd have something to show for it there too. Swimming takes the best (just about all) of my available training time. So these land-based interests are waiting for any excuse that keeps me out of the water long enough so I can devote myself to one of them with appropriate amount of frequency and consistency.

PS- there is no doubt that learning from a skilled instructor is the way to go in these practices. I would need a yoga instructor to explain the WHYs for me on a lot of things. From that aikido class I know now what our wet students must feel like. I am even more compassionate now for their newby situation.

Head Coach
Mediterra International Swimming
mediterraswim.com

My blog with over 400 posts on TI technique and mindful training: Smooth Strokes Blog

Email: mat@mediterraswim.com