View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013

Grant
Default Low normal testosterone levels and effect on swim speed

I would like to open this issue and see what the collective wisdom is of the forum regarding what would be reasonable expectations for swimmers in their 70/80's when their blood testosterone level is at the low range of normal. Also if there any unique training regimes that can minimize the slowing down trend.
I am 78. The last year my times are off about 10%. The testosterone blood level right at the low range of normal. My energy level is nowhere near what it was two years go. Had an aggressive form of prostrate cancer removed 18 months ago. They got it all and follow up PSA's have been less than 0.01, which is very good news. As the literature shows supplementing testosterone can stimulate any remaining prostate cancer cells I am not going that route.
So any insights or protocols that would result in being able to build or at least maintain muscle mass as us oldies advance in years.
I practice 1.5 hours three times a week and am swimming about 2500m each time. Have been playing with TI for about 15 years now, so I have played with balance and form for many years. Still a work in progress but the big improvements are behind me. Am finding that I can sleep for two hours after a swim practice. See what I mean about energy level.
Will appreciate any advice that comes.