View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomfloat View Post
I think this could be responsible for alot of the problems obtaining evf? ie trying to get Evf with a protracted shoulder blade at full extention? i think there needs to be some sort of scapula retraction that goes along with the forearm pitching down?
(maybe why linking evf to rotation works? because the scapula is retracting along with rotation?)
It's talked about in more than just elite circles. I discuss it at every coach training, summit and every work shop or lesson series i do. But my discussions are primarily injury preventionfirst and performance second. Can't perform if you are injured!

Scapular retraction at the same time as the internal rotation (firearm pitching down) is a recipe for injury for most adult swimmers...and all but the most flexible of young adults or kids.

Retraction is prt of the push motion to create a full and fluid arm stroke. The retraction should be mostly complete and place the scapula in a neutral position prior to the recovery since over retraction can contribute to sinking during recovery unless your at elite level stroke rates with a powerful kick.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle