View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
I can write a whole chapter of possible ways to swim that more or less use fishlike actions or not, but thats only making things more complicated.

Ok , we Have Dannys extra freedom of forward and rearward movement of bodyparts within the bodytube. The shouldercomples can be shifted forwards and the other side backwards without bending if you got the shoulderflexibility.
Thats a good way to increase arm power and range of movement.
The shoulders can also be rotated relative to the other bodyslices, but that goes against moving the whole upperbody as one unit. The tilting of the hip causes some spine bending, thats a bit of a bordercase if you want to stick to no bending allowed-

If I understand Suzanne right, a good kick goes together with some undulation.

Shelly Taylor Smith has an almost straigt leg kick, but I agree this style cant be used by everyone with the same effect. The straight leg lick can be a source for rotation, but for most not the most effective way to extraxt forward movement.
In principle the legs should get some traction on the water to help the rotation, right?
When Shinji kicks he gets a litle bend in his bodyline. He sort of kicks his butt to the surface.
Is that the sort of undulation you mean?
I think reviewing various types of fish propulsion adds a lot to understanding what options humans have for movement. Size, amplitude, origin of body waves, and associated thrust development options (the box fish is my favorite...so cute!)

Here's a sentence from the conculsion of an article studying harminc wave speed and amplitude in human swimmers:
Quote:
The variability among swimmers provides strong evidence that swimmers find their own solutions to the task of producing a body wave appropriate for optimal achievement of the task.
my take is that it's fun to think about and try different options..since humans are not designed to swim through water, we won't have one ideal way to make forward progress. The changes and differences in limb length, strength, bouyancy, distance, training history, etc. will all impact how an individual manifests their stroke and harmonics/undulations (speed & amplitude).

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...21929008005538
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle