View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwani View Post
Hello

I am a bit confused: TI focusses a lot on the concept of relaxing and turning of muscles that are not necessary. On the other side the body needs tot be streamlined and as straight as a surfing board.

How to understand this correctly?

Elements of shaping the vessel: to keep it straight in my view, you need to push your upper body down, tighten the stomic muscles, push your bottom up and keep the legs aligned. All of this to me seems pretty 'active', muscles driven: relaxing here is equal to a spaghetti going through the water.

Elements of relaxing: the ragdoll arms of recovery, other? Maybe the fact of breathing, then the turning your head down and wait wait till the arm hits the water to drive the hip and dive into the tunnel: is this also 'relaxation'?

Insight on the difference of both concept please
I just wrote about this in another thread.

"Relaxing" is a cue. We like to tell people to focus on this because most of the time swimmers are too tense in the water, wasting energy and being so wound up that they cannot move in the water.

However, I have found that people have taken that cue too far (or in other words, cues can be overused past their usefulness in a person). They have, as you have noted, become "spaghetti" in the water (I like to say wet noodles). So in some people I have met who have started with TI, i need to take them back up the tension curve to be able to stabilize and move well.

Water is so nice. It is soothing to be in it. So relaxing to wet noodle/spaghetti status is very easy. But it is not conducive to swimming.

Yes you need to be active. You need to have some tension in the body to maintain body shape and have a stable, firm platform on which to move the limbs. But not so much tension that you either cannot move properly or wasting energy holding so much.

Make sense?
Menloswim.com
Menlo Park, CA
https://www.coachdshen.com/blog/