View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012

Talvi
Default suggestions...?

I'm doing ow swimming so I read this thread with that perspective and was interested in what Chris wrote....
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratcat View Post
Finis have recently released a little GPS unit (GPS only - clips onto goggles) that would be a good match with a watch like this or with the pool mate watches (which I have) which don't have GPS. They're about $140 or so. Good for OW swimming
I started looking at watches prompted by the Suunto Ambit, but in reality they feel way OTT for me (I'm hardly an athlete!) or else they seem like Mickey Mouse aimed for FB etc., so I'd like to ask your advice. Hope that's ok here? Maybe I should have started another thread...

I'd like something for ow swimming, to get an easier and more accurate idea of distance and time than poring over Google maps. Even though I'm a poor swimmer it'd need to be accurate as +/- 10m would add up to a big difference at this point, swimming to and fro. (I'd also like to use it in much the same way for xc-skiing)

My idea is to get away from over-concern on metrics by having them readily available. With a suitable device I could follow what my body wants to do and then see how that has measured up rather than set and then see how those made me feel. Perhaps this is all diversionary though, but I feel it might be motivational and take the guesswork out of things.