Thread: Need for speed
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013

Richardsk
Default Need for speed

Recently I swam at the Gloucester Open Masters Meet (SCM), one of my favourites and one where I usually manage to put in some of my best times for the year, if not personal bests, which in the nature of things are becoming harder to achieve as I age, but not impossible, since I started from a very low level.

The events I swam this year were the 400m, 200m, 100m and 50m Freestyle , the 100m and 50m Backstroke, the 100m and 50m Breaststroke and the 100m IM. Last year I also swam the 50m Fly but have now decided not to swim any more pure fly races until my stroke improves, if it ever does.

I was relatively pleased with my freestyle results, managing to improve on last year's short course times in all distances, but falling short of improving on last year's 50m LC, which was a personal best, although a very slow time when compared to the times swum by other swimmers in my age group.

Everything else was slower than last year and the fly length of the IM was utterly diabolical but the judges must have been feeling generous and didn't disqualify me, so I have a legal time for this year.

I now need to turn my mind to improving my speed in all strokes, which I presume means plenty of short repeats, pushing the limits of stroke rate and exploring the relationship between stroke length and stroke rate, and no doubt lots of technique work as well.

I have decided that if I haven't cracked the fly secret by the time I move up to the 80-84 group, which will be in 2015 if I make it that far, I'm going to abandon the quest and concentrate on the other three strokes.