View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak View Post
Tom,
If you did not see it already, see my report from yesterday's pool session using the straighter arm recovery.

http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...3&postcount=13
Joel,

great results--that had to be fun.

I spent today's session playing around with my recovery that way, too, trying to create momentum by "throwing" the arm forward to aid in propulsion, and not worrying about the elbow lead (though keeping shoulder relaxed). No conclusions, but some preliminary impressions:

1) Getting the arm forward so quickly creates a faster SR than I am used to.

2) There seems to be some potential for speed gains. I swam around 500m total before looking at a clock, then was hitting :40-42 on repeat 50s at 17-18 SPL--fast for me. At easier tempos/efforts, holding 16 SPL solid, I was still around :43-44.

3) It seemed to lead to higher SPLs--I was at 16-18 instead of my normal 14-16. But I was going faster, too.

4) The arm comes forward so quickly that I found it took quite a bit of concentration to keep the patient lead arm and not allow the kick to happen too early. When I was disciplined enough to let the pressing motion pass my head before kicking, it worked well. But the assymmetry of a very fast arm "throw" and a patient lead arm/late kick was sure a new feeling.

All in all, it seems worth exploring. I was very successful about keeping more momentum with the recovering arm as it entered the water. That seemed to require more energy up-front than an elbow-lead recovery, but repaid the extra energy investment in speed gains. But I suspect it may take some conditioning to be able to maintain this kind of recovery--I didn't swim anything longer than a 50m today.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention here--it's going to be fun to explore.