View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
OK, I tried it. The proprioceptive thing was easier than I thought it would be. I could easily tell when I got it right. Rotation to air was way more precise when my head started off being properly aligned! My main problem was concentration. At first I was able to stay on top of it most of the time. But as the session wore on, the burden of trying to remember all the elements of high elbow catch, which I'm still working on (using 50m fist swimming, 50 meters regular hand swimming), plus all the list of routine technical points got overwhelmed by the old postural habits, and my head started to crane again more often than not. But it was an excellent start, I think.

Due to the novelty of the new posture in the water, I had absolutely no idea what it was doing to my balance, which is pretty fragile, at best. Likely not good. But I had the idea when my head was not pressing down as much in the water that my chest should take over the burden of pressing down. I'll have to concentrate more on this when the head and neck alignment become more easy to do automatically.

Danny, this would be a real challenge for me because I don't float well at the water surface. To hold the breathing position in skate would seem to me very difficult, especially in the absence of an arm stroke, with only the very gentle leg flutter to provide velocity; I would think there would not be enough of a bow wave to mimic the breathing position of whole stroke breathing. But still, it would be worth a try, once I get a firmer handle on the new head and neck posture.
sclm, I don't have your sinking problems, so maybe what works for me won't work for you. I will say that I found that I float much closer to the surface when I keep my spine straight and lean on my chest as you mention above. If my case is typical, and old man neck slouch usually comes with a slouched upper spine which makes it difficult to really lean on your chest. People sometimes refer to "swimming proud" which means sticking your chest out, but this may simply be because we are so used to letting the spine in our upper back slouch. Anyway, all of this will bring you closer to the surface.

If you look at the underwater pictures of Shinji doing freestyle,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4
it always seemed amazing to me how much he was able to rotate his head on his shoulders when he breaths. I don't think I can come anywhere close to the range of motion he has with his head, but the closer to this you can come, the easier breathing while not breaking your balance line is. The secret is to keep your head aligned, because that allows you to turn your head further. That is something you can test and verify out of the pool.