View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
I find it really hard to practice a dryland neck and head position, then reproduce it exactly in the water, what with the 90 degree difference and the fact of the water support of the head.
OK, I take it back, at least partially. I have noticed that I have developed an "old man" neck slouch in the standing position as I age, which is as yet, still correctable by muscular repositioning. On reflection, this proprioception should be transferrable and reproducible to tomorrow morning's flotation and swim session in the pool.

Will it take less effort or more effort to maintain the optimum longitudinal axis alignment of head neck and spine horizontally that requires some effort in the vertical position? This is interesting. The head won't be as buoyant as the torso, so flotation alone will not just lift up the head to alignment. But it won't be total dead weight, as most of the head support will be taken up by the water. When I'm lying supine in bed without a pillow, gravity handily takes care of everything; but I don't expect it to be that easy tomorrow. In the supine position in bed (immersed only in air) the weight of my head is considerable, exerting about 10 lb weight of force to overcome bad postural alignment of muscles and ligaments. I still will have to put out some force tomorrow, I think, to achieve alignment, but hopefully not much. The challenge will be more in searching and finding the appropriate proprioceptive memory to overcome years of bad postural habit.

(The corollary of this whole rethinking of my neck posture in the water is the realisation that I have no idea at all how my head is achieving its rotation during breathing. I had sort of assumed that I was more or less rotating with the neck on axis, but I really have no basis for knowing this. In fact, seeing as how I have an unconscious forward neck slouch standing on land, I think it's highly likely I have a forward = downward slouch in the water, and the exact nature of my rotation is anybody's guess).

Last edited by sclim : 01-19-2015 at 05:43 AM.