View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010

haschu33
Thumbs up Don't count, eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
I'm not sure I agree about the increase in appetite. ...
I don't have increase in appetite - not from swimming. There was a time when I went to work by bike, it took me about 45 min fast riding. I developed an incredible appetite at that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
When Lynn Cox was training for her extreme cold water swims, she was carefully monitored by hypothermia researchers. She added body fat even with no extra calories. So perhaps the body tries to protect itself by adding the insulation.
Like my dog did in autumn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
I find it very easy to maintain my weight while swimming. If I'm trying to drop a few pounds after the holidays or a vacation, though, I have to manage my calorie intake carefully to keep from feeling hungry. I usually eat a lot of snacks and small meals. During that time, I either avoid pushing myself too hard or just accept that I'm going to go over my calorie target on those days.

I personally have never been able to lose weight thru exercise alone--I always have to count calories, regardless of the type of exercise. All exercise makes me feel hungry right afterwards, but swimming is the only one that can give me that insatiable feeling if I'm not careful.
I am neither obsessed with a low stroke count nor with my weight. So I never count calories. When I want to loose weight I even more don't care about calories. Eating less makes me hungry and then I start to eat junk food. I simply watch what I am eating, not how much. I eat 'good' food (my wife cooks really well), lot's of vegetables, no sweets and sugar, absolutely no junk food and I go out to eat only very rarely. I don't like fatty food anyway. I am vegetarian but that doesn't make a difference for the weight, I guess. And, no snacks.
The disadvantage of eating less is the decrease in the basic metabolic rate. The effect of that is that the body immediately starts to store (fat) if you eat more. So then you always have to stay at eating less, and you are always a little hungry. No fun.

There is a German nutritionist who was asked what he would do to loose weight. He simply said: eat more.

Good news of the day :-))