View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoiscathy View Post
Good for you. I can't sprint to savd my life. I have non-existent catch and I feel real time as I slip. But even if I had good catch I couldn't recover my arms fast enough for sprinting. I feel tremendous tension in my shoulders. Somrtimes so much it almost hurts.
Hi Cathy,

Tension in the shoulders is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome, far more then tension in the neck - but both are related. Recruiting the shoulder is primal, a response to imbalance. Soft, relaxed shoulders are fluid and move freely; tight tense shoulders are rigid, not fluid or free. Terry used to say “swim with [the feeling of] light shoulders” an excellent focus. Look at any of his videos, notice how soft and “light” his shoulders are: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8ZZZhabp4

To feel what a tense vs soft/light shoulder is like, in Superman (and Skate) drill, extend arms forward using shoulders, bring the shoulders to the ears - feel the discomfort and also become aware of the tension in the neck and chest too. Most will sink of few inches with tension. Then with tension, release the shoulders, allow the shoulder to sit back in its socket - feel the sudden comfort *and* stability (body rises to surface) with relaxed shoulders.

Find out what is causing your imbalance that is recruiting the shoulders to solve unconsciously, as well as use the focal point, “swim with light shoulders”. This will take time, be patient with the process.

Stu
MindBodyAndSWIM.com

Last edited by CoachStuartMcDougal : 08-20-2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added Terry video