View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by descending View Post
I will have to ask him what his exact material exposure was, but if I understood him from first meeting his old tri coach was a TI proponent who taught that to all the people on the tri-team. Not sure if he went deeper than that on his own.
It would be good to find out if you don't mind. There are a lot of swimmers that have studied TI want to help others that are struggling as they did, but not being trained, often limit their progress. But I don't want to discourage intentions, which are always good. In any case, I'm curious to find out some more detail of your "TI Swimmer" rather than broad statements.

Quote:
Well I agree that propulsion has to overcome whatever drag that swimmer presents. Regarding your triathlete compatriots. Have you possibly had a chance to swim next to someone who swims at say 70-75spm who leaves you in the proverbial dust in that group of swimmers you are with? And if so is that person 'doing it wrong?'. From my chair I would say no b/c for many of us it's about touching the wall first. Could that person possibly be faster at a slower stroke rate? Absolutely it's possible. I just know in my own swimming the harder I practice the faster I get! If that changes I might think about trying something else b/c all I'm looking for is steady progress and if I stop getting that then I gotta hit the drawing board. I just know I'm not going to be the guy who walks up to the stud leading lane 1 at practice who races the 200-500 at about 75-80 spm and tell him he needs to rethink his stroke:/ I mean the guy was good enough to go to college for free at a big D1 program so he can't be that bad. Likewise it would be hard to tell the new guy on the squad that by adding a 6 beat and picking up his SR that he's making a mistake, while he has simultaneously become fast enough to start making the send offs.
Both yes and no. I can certainly pick up turnover and pass the guy at the same rate, but I can't sustain that for a 800m, mile or two. And likewise, one who leaves me in the dust at the beginning typically begins to slow toward the end of the swim. This happened to me at bridge to bridge last year - couldn't hang on to this guys wheelhouse much longer than 5 minutes before he left me, but I finished just ahead of him at the end. But I think negative split and didn't want to blow up too early. That's a choice I made given that distance and works for me, it doesn't mean that works for others. You are making this one vs the other and presenting in the context of short to mid range pool races. Triathlon is a completely different context. The first one coming out of the water in triathlon, doesn't win the race. It's the one who can execute the entire race well and set PR. You don't need to worry about that in comp pool races since there's nothing immediately following that event - and this is the zone you work best and is a choice you make.

Quote:
In a nutshell. It *seems* and perhaps I'm wrong there is so much confusion with applying TI and people not getting faster here on this forum that I question why no one wants to look at what has worked and keeps working for thousands and thousands of Masters swimmers around the world. Show up, swim with some intensity and repeat and get faster. That is what resonated with Gerry's Do's and Don't list: Don't use front quadrant or a catch up stroke. Don't bilateral breathe. Don't forget to incorporate fast swimming in every single workout. Don't have low stroke rates. Swim a good portion high intensity sets. etc. Then I look at the hundreds of testimonials on his page of people saying how they met and blew past their goals seems like he is doing a lot right, but it seems to be in stark contrast to TI in many respects.
Again - these are choices, not a comparison. You also assume that TI doesn't advocate high intensity sets. It's important to run swimmers through all gears not just slow or fast rates; swimming long sets with negative or positive splits. But they should know where their limits are, what they can sustain for the distance they are swimming, as well as what works for their physiology and psyche.

Stuart