View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Swimming Biofeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Yes, indeed. The joy of being pulled along to a good time is something worth savoring.
Consider the possibility of being pulled to faster times even without another swimmer's help. I've experimented at times with using that as a Focal Point and found it almost always works. It's a Focal Point that calls upon you to employ a stronger gift of imagination, but I think it illustrates our remarkable ability to learn how to effect physical, tangible change with the power of thought.

An analogy that comes to mind is biofeedback, the fascinating process by which patients learn to change physiological activity -- including brainwaves, heart function, blood pressure, muscle activity, and skin temperature -- for the purpose of improving health and performance. It's done via concentrated thought with the physiological activity measured by precise instruments. The patient watches the measuring device and 'moves the needle' by thought.

The feedback improves the patient's ability to target the thought.

During yesterday's practice on this set
3 x 100 [25FL25BK] SPL = 7FL-14BK-8FL-16BK
Hold stroke count and descend without effort.

I was working on addressing what I analyzed as a weak spot in my 400 IM. I seem to exert too much effort on the 100 Fly that comes first. My 2nd 50 of Fly slows too much from the 1st 50 and my backstroke splits are dramatically slower than those in my 200 BK. It was clear that I spend a good deal of the race recovering from the effort of swimming Fly.

So my goal for the 400 IM I'll swim on Friday as my 2nd event at Nationals to swim the 100 FLY at the same pace as I did at Zones, but with much less effort. That should allow me to swim much faster on the 100 BK and 100 BR that follows.

So on the set above I focused on feeling as if I was pulled forward by a natural energy after landing in each Fly stroke. My feedback would be partly kinesthetic, feeling the forward pull, and partly from the pace clock. If I improved my ability to translate thought into reality, I should see my time improve on each 100 without increasing effort -- or strokes.

I went 1:32 - 1:30 - 1:29. It appears that it worked. I'll bring that Focal Point into the 400 IM with me next Friday.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story