View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011

Grant
Default First meet of 2011

Due to various ailments and infections I have had to miss two meets this year. Had registered for both but had to pull out at the last moment. So it was with great joy that I was able to participate in the British Columbia Provincial Championships as a 76 year old this last weekend. Expectations were not high as I had had only about 4 weeks back in the water after about 30 days enforced layoff. It was held in Kelowna in their new Aquatic Centre which is a sight to behold. It was a Short Course Meter (SCM) event.
I swam in 9 events 7 individual and 2 relays. 5 on Sat. and 4 on Sun.
The place of finish is not important as in 4 of 5 of the Free events I was the only one in my age group (75-79). The first swim was the 400 and I was second to a competitor from Washington State by about 4 sec. My pacing was not good and I left too much in the pool. My last 25 I had lots of juice left. As a result I missed the Provincial record by 1.5 sec. (splits 44:17, 50:03, 53:33, 55:27, 54.34, 54:97, 55:95, 51:83 Total 6:59.89.
The next two races were 100 Fly and 50 Fly and I was edged by another old friend in both for the gold. I had done little Fly work in the last month so was not at my best. 44.86 and 1:52.77 which are both off last year times.
The last race of the day was 200 Free and fatigue is my excuse for the 3:15.06 which is 5 seconds off my record time of last year.
Sunday was better as the first race was the 800 Free and I set a BC record. The time was 15:08.06 which took 24 seconds off. It had stood for 12 years. Am going to set a goal of low 14 minutes for next year. My pacing was better as after 2 - 50's of 46:44 and 54:68 I settled into 11 50's in the 58 sec range. the last 3 50's were 56'48, 57:18 and a closing 50:06. Again I had lots left for that last faster 50. Was pleased with the consistency. Have to do some work on being able to recognize the pace I am swimming.
The final two individual races were the 100 and 50 meter Frees. 100 Free I missed the record by .6 sec. Was pleased with the 1:21.76 as it was less than last years time. I felt the last 5 meters I was starting to weaken. But there was nothing left in the tank. Also the last 50M split was only 2.5 seconds slower so I was close to being within 2 seconds of the first 50.
The 50 Free was slower than last year by about .6 sec and fatigue was setting in by that time. We finished with a 200M mixed free relay and the split time got screwed up so I don't know if there was any further deterioration.
All in all a good weekend of swimming and seeing old friends and acquaintances. And lots of food for thought.
A number of my races were faster than last year which had been slower because of the swim suit regulation change. I am aiming to see how close I can come to matching those full body suit times. Of course father time has something to say but Terry and you folks in this forum give me lots of tools.
One last thought. I still enjoy the sprints and really liked the feel of the 800. Not so much the 400 but that was the first race and always have a lot of excitement to handle.
So going to concentrate on 100 to 800 Free and 50 to 200 Fly for the next year.
Good luck on your Nationals Terry.