View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronis View Post
This is unbelievable!!! This is what I'm talking about!

I notice that in comparison to Misty, this swimmer does not move his arms much at all....his chest moves just slightly more.....The undulating action seems mostly legs....I guess you have to view this as the power coming primarily from the core (hips), with the legs moving most of all.

I really do believe that this technique should be taught as "the 5th stroke"....In fact, I would bet that this technique separates the elite swimmers from the mediocre ones....even though this is more applicable to breast stroke and butterfly.

This reminds me of something that Terry learned a while back about the swimmers he was coaching....that they travelled faster in the beginning of their lap then when they actually began stroking...It demonstrates a very powerful principal....That in swimming sometimes less is more....If humans could breathe underwater, then I bet most humans would be swimming this way!
Misty's stroke in each if these is a demo, she was one of tje fastest udk fly swimmers and she and her coach worked extensively on this even to the point of using food dye in the water and filming her above to find out how propulsion works in this "stroke". They even corresponded with the editors of i believe pipular mechanics to make sure their theories were plausible. she and her coache used tempo, distance per kick and pace i. her race strategy just as ti coaches use it in freestyle set planning.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle