View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithbowden View Post
Hi,

I'd appreciate any advice that can be given reagrding the following...

I'm 45, 5'10" lean but float quite easily. However, when I try the skulling drill of outsweep / insweep on the butterfly stroke to get a breath I seem to be always struggling to get the shoulders out over the water surface such that I can catch the breath with this lift.

When looking at Terry's video it seems so effortless the way he does it. Stefan, in the same video seems to have a 2nd kick that drives him up a bit, i think?

Thank you...
As IngeA said, it's difficult to say without seeing what you're doing. But I can explain what should be happening:

The core body movement that is central to butterfly is the body dolphin. It is initiated by pressing your chest into the water and letting the ripple travel down to your toes. It is the buoyancy of your lungs in the water that lifts your chest back up again.

It's a bit like jumping on a trampoline: When you jump on it, your weight causes the supports for the trampoline to stretch. The tension in the supports then lift it back up, but they overshoot and momentarily lift the surface of the trampoline higher than where it was to begin with, which helps to lift you into the air.

All you should need to do to lift your upper body high enough for you to breathe is to press your chest a little more into the water than you do on non-breathing pulses. The water will react by lifting your upper body a little more on the rebound.

Keep in mind that you don't want to come up all that high, since the higher you go, the more unstreamlined your body will be and the more drag this will consequently create as you move through the water. So you want it to lift you just enough for you to get a breath in. Obviously, you need to be exhaling while you are underwater so that your lungs will be empty and ready to take in air at the precise moment when your mouth and nose come above the water.

Bob