View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Hi Tom,

Good to hear and reflect on that progress you made, nice work!
Thanks--a lot of that I credit to your ideas on this forum. My perceived effort levels are so much lower than they were two months ago, I'd guess speed and SPL are similar.

Do you have any thoughts about my hypothesis that by starting to "grip" the water and move the underwater arm back sooner, I have gotten rid of a habitual (but unnoticed) tendency to overglide? I think that glide time, and the resulting acceleration/deceleration, may have been holding me back and getting in the way of proper timing for stroke and kick.

Quote:
I think John@NewPaltz noted the added effort to get 10 or 8 strokes across the pool, I'm assuming 25y pool. If a swimmer is taking 8 strokes after 5y yard glide offf the wall, I can bet there's a hitch at hip (stopping in a skate position) to achieve that low stroke count.
I believe he said he's in a 20y pool, not 25y.

Quote:
The arm starts and finishes at forward extension, one continuous, fluid movement with no hitches or pauses at hip or at entry.
Yes, another change I'm noticing with my reduced glide/extension is that my recovering arm is entering the water with more momentum. I suppose I had also been slowing down just before entry, or I would not be noticing increased momentum now. But again, the momentum seems to be a side effect of doing other things correctly, it wasn't a conscious goal.

Thanks again for sharing your insights here--I really appreciate it. I've never competed, or had a coach, or even a lesson (except for one session with Dave Cameron back when I didn't really know what I was doing--he showed me that!)--all of my progress has been because of TI self-coaching materials, and advice from this forum. It's a great way to learn.