View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdargush View Post
With all due respect, I am not sure what you mean by writing that "you did not get any infection!" after "applying antibiotic cream". Antibiotics are indeed designed to kill bacteria, and it is good so.
Sorry that I wasn't clear enough. The antibiotic cream was not being applied because I went in the pool. Showering, applying the antibiotic cream, and covering it with a sterile glove was part of the prescribed daily treatment for the burns. The force of the shower water served to debride the burned area. The antibiotic cream served to combat infection. My point was that the doctor did not feel there was any significant added risk from swimming first thing in the morning, when the pool chlorine had had all night to work. The doctor would not have felt this way about me swimming in a lake.

Quote:
Similarly, I am not sure what message you want to convey with "the lake is sometimes closed because of bacteria levels" and "swimming pools almost never need to close".
I'm not sure why you're not sure what message I wanted to convey. I thought the message was very clear: Swimming in chlorinated pools generally poses less risk than swimming in lakes.

Quote:
I think that it is responsible to remind everyone, including elite and long-time swimmers, what good practice is when entering the swimming area. In all swimming pools that I know of, where I live and abroad, it is mandatory to clean oneself (shower) beforehand. This is for a good reason, although I have to note, to my despair, that many do not do so. Swimming pools are a place of choice for microbial/fungal growth, because it is warm and humid, in particular indoor pools where air is constricted. Microbial growth is restricted by regular disinfection, but is promoted by nutriments brought in by people, swimmers or non-swimmers. Any type of dirt, contaminant, dead cells, hair, grease, sweat, secretions might become food for bacteria/fungi. I am not mentioning here cosmetics, hair gels, perfumes and alikes that might not be properly removed and stay in the water as contaminants.
As a swim coach and competitive swimmer, I suspect that I have visited more pools than you have, and I do know of pools that don't have a stated policy requiring swimmers to shower before entering the pool. And even those pools that do have such a policy often do little or nothing to enforce the policy. It's pretty easy, for example, to look at swimmers entering the pool area from a locker room, seeing whether their hair is wet, and sending them back to shower if it is not, but some pools with posted policies requiring showers don't do this.

Bob