View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017
Abdargush

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
There is a lake in my town where public swimming is allowed, and they test the water regularly and sometimes have to close because of bacteria levels that are too high. Swimming pool water is also tested regularly, but pools almost never need to close.

In June of 1995, I got second degree burns on my hand. While it was healing, my doctor still allowed me to swim, but told me to do it first thing in the morning, when the chlorine had had all night to work. After swimming, I would shower and then apply antibiotic cream to my hand. And, no, I didn't get any infection!

Bob
With all due respect, I am not sure what you mean by writing that "you did not get any infection!" after "applying antibiotic cream". Antibiotics are indeed designed to kill bacteria, and it is good so. Similarly, I am not sure what message you want to convey with "the lake is sometimes closed because of bacteria levels" and "swimming pools almost never need to close".

I think that it is responsible to remind everyone, including elite and long-time swimmers, what good practice is when entering the swimming area. In all swimming pools that I know of, where I live and abroad, it is mandatory to clean oneself (shower) beforehand. This is for a good reason, although I have to note, to my despair, that many do not do so. Swimming pools are a place of choice for microbial/fungal growth, because it is warm and humid, in particular indoor pools where air is constricted. Microbial growth is restricted by regular disinfection, but is promoted by nutriments brought in by people, swimmers or non-swimmers. Any type of dirt, contaminant, dead cells, hair, grease, sweat, secretions might become food for bacteria/fungi. I am not mentioning here cosmetics, hair gels, perfumes and alikes that might not be properly removed and stay in the water as contaminants.

Indeed, closure of swimming pools is rare, fortunately. However, at the cost of potential health issues, long or short term, due to the generation of hazardous compounds/gases. Also, measurements reflect the state of the water at the time of sampling. The thresholds may well be exceeded at other moments. In addition, microbial analysis take time and cost money. They are not necessarily done often.

This post is not meant to personally offend anyone in particular, nor do I want teach a lesson. Nevertheless, I think that it is the responsibility of everyone to keep our swimming pool environment CLEAN. It also applies to any environment by the way, whether nature, work place, or place of living.

My sincere apology for such a long post.