View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
Well, it didnt give me much new information. If you take Richards Quick aquatic posture video serious then thats the starting point of your vessel, be it in the water or on some dryland trainer. That video is pretty old now, so I am not exactly blown away by new insights in this VASA video. He also makes a destinction between tilting the head and lifting the head, like talked about in the head position thread, which was surprising to hear.
I've never been a fan of the Vasa trainer since 1. swimmer's flat and not rotated in the position they would be in the water (freestyle), 2. encourages the impulse to pull and not hold. And almost admittedly from Coach Kredich, he stopped using Vasa Trainer I believe for reasons 1 & 2 above - but then took a look at the trainer to isolate positions with body both in and out of correct posture to help swimmers become aware of body position and posture outside of an aquatic environment.

The video is a couple years old, but certainly Coach Kredich's methods are unconventional, all influenced by Coach Boomer. Same with Richard Quick, a huge influence from Coach Boomer. "The shape of the vessel matters more than the size of the engine" is their mantra too. Here's a good piece on Boomer and Quick: http://www.teamunify.com/SubTabGener...&_stabid_=8068

Tilting head and not lifting head is to breathe in fly. I see this breathing pattern much more now, especially Phelps in the fly. I am curious how much Boomer has influenced Bob Bowman (Phelps' coach), but in any articles/video from Coach Bowman, he's never mentioned or credited Bill Boomer that I'm aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
Ii like the remark of the VASA guy, that its usefull to watch for body/legs movment in the horizontal plane. That is an indication you are pulling (or anchoring if that sounds better) in a direction that disturbs your forward straight line, or simply are not holding good posture.
They should attach the sliding part with elastic rubbers to the padded part where the person lies on.
That way you can mimic the unbalanced body in the water better and take measures to correct your stroke, so the body keeps tracking straight during the pulling action.
If you also add force sensors to this frame you are lying on you can compare the body reactions of good and bad swimmers.
Much more interesting than comparing watt outputs and and/or bluetooth connection. They can give me a call, I have some more improvement ideas ;-)

What do you think of my idea of using the stretch cords in a vertical way instead of a semi horizontal way like its done on all the youtube clips?
I use an old innertube to make a loop where the forearm can be put in, and than you can pull close to the elbow instead of near the hand.
Gives more body loading and less local shoulder loading.
Stretch cords are great for rehabbing injured shoulders, especially progressive aspect of the (rubber) band. Other than that, I don't see much use for swimming. The progressive aspect of the band is not consistent with water, but if there's a way to isolate movements and feel position, then possibly a there's use. Standing vertical with bands to simulate rotation is better than flat or bent at waist pulling on bands. Rather (only occasionally) I use gym pulley with light weight, standing in rotated tall posture, holding forearm parallel to floor when pressing down. Very similar to how Coach Kredich uses the Vasa with two arms - a one arm press (down) maintaining forearm parallel to floor; starting elbow high (top of head), pressing down until forearm begins to hinge at elbow near belly button. Coach Kredich's idea of the arm band on the forearm - I'll try the same using the pulley pressing down from forearm and not the hand. Uh oh - I see a possible demo video of this in the near future :-)

Stuart