View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016

Zenturtle

Well, it didnt give me much new information. If you take Richards Quick aquatic posture video serious then thats the starting point of your vessel, be it in the water or on some dryland trainer. That video is pretty old now, so I am not exactly blown away by new insights in this VASA video. He also makes a destinction between tilting the head and lifting the head, like talked about in the head position thread, which was surprising to hear.

Ii like the remark of the VASA guy, that its usefull to watch for body/legs movment in the horizontal plane. That is an indication you are pulling (or anchoring if that sounds better) in a direction that disturbs your forward straight line, or simply are not holding good posture.
They should attach the sliding part with elastic rubbers to the padded part where the person lies on.
That way you can mimic the unbalanced body in the water better and take measures to correct your stroke, so the body keeps tracking straight during the pulling action.
If you also add force sensors to this frame you are lying on you can compare the body reactions of good and bad swimmers.
Much more interesting than comparing watt outputs and and/or bluetooth connection. They can give me a call, I have some more improvement ideas ;-)

What do you think of my idea of using the stretch cords in a vertical way instead of a semi horizontal way like its done on all the youtube clips?
I use an old innertube to make a loop where the forearm can be put in, and than you can pull close to the elbow instead of near the hand.
Gives more body loading and less local shoulder loading.

@Danny
You have to have a side view with a background close by and taken from some distance so the perspective doesnt change much during a stroke.
This slippage is pretty fundamental in someones stroke. Cant see an avarage swimmer go from twice forward movement slippage to equal forward movement slippage between a good or a bad day.
It depends a lot on your speed and effort level too. The elite swimmer is having that traction at about a 1 minute/100m pace....

I admit being rather arm focussed, but a car with a good engine needs good tires too to transmit the power to the road.
And thats what the arms do, providing most of the endpropulsion.

Pictures speak louder than words. This olympic swimmer has some good and bad points in his anchoring movments.
Whats bad and what is good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL_OSDV4ZlA

Last edited by Zenturtle : 07-23-2016 at 07:59 AM.